Friday, June 3, 2011

Homestay in Guguletu

Homestay
Well I am back from staying in Gugelethu  a township in South Africa. Now let me say that I didn’t expect to be staying in the type of home I was in. I stayed with Thotho and Sunazo her 14 year old granddaughter. They were extremely welcoming.
When I say unexpected, I mean that I wasn’t planning on being in a nice house. It was cute and had an indoor bathroom with a functioning toilet and bath tub. Some houses don’t have that.  It was great to see that there were levels to the township, and that some people don’t live in the depths of what comes out of extreme poverty and misfortune.
Thotho works for the same domestic company for the past 16yrs her current boss and American doctor. It takes her a taxi and a train to get to work and she leaves at 6:15am to get to work by 8. She is so sweet and very open to talking and answering any question s I had.
Sunazo loves to dance and she dances at church on Sundays she also wants to be a fashion designer and she showed us some of her drawings. They were extremely good. 
When we asked why Sunazo stays with Thotho, I was expecting there to be some tragic story, but the truth was here parents live in Port Elizabeth and she didn’t want to move away from all her friends. I was happy to hear that not all the stories were tragic and involved death.
I felt very familiar at the homestay it felt as if I were back in the south with my grandma.

No comments:

Post a Comment