Friday, June 10, 2011

Robben Island

Well on Tuesday we went to Robben Island.  It was cool to go I slept on the boat the way there. The island was the place where the prison was where all the political leaders were kept during apartheid. I found it interesting that they kept those leaders separate from all other prisoners in fear that they would plan things. I loved how they being smart made the best of the situation and learned from each other and came together to get freedom.
We got a chance to go into cells and read accounts of experiences of former prisoners. The one that stood out to me was one about how they would be starved. It was to the point where certain foods were bargained in exchange for sexual acts.
I didn’t like how touristy it was though. Maybe it was because we spent so much time doing tourist things. Then we had a week in the real world in Gugs. I loved that we were toured by a former prisoner, but it may have been easier to get questions if we weren’t with a huge group of others.
The main thing I got from that trip was that you can make the most of the situation. Like Mandela and the other leaders did they use the fact that all of them were I the same place for a period of time to accomplish a goal and to learn from one another and not argue and fight one another?

No comments:

Post a Comment